Have you ever worked with an otherwise capable leader who simply couldn’t manage others? If so, you’re not alone—according to Gallup, only ten percent of people possess the necessary combination of talents to effectively manage others. Nevertheless, this critical leadership competency can be learned—and doing so depends more on having the right tools and training than on any unique expertise or remarkable gifts.
In this intensive two-day workshop with follow-up group coaching sessions, participants will gain the foundational knowledge, skills, and mindsets that they need to get results with and through others—with a focus on concrete and immediately applicable tools and strategies. Topics covered include:
- Defining people management
- Understanding the connection between people management and leadership
- Identifying the vision and roadmap for the work ahead
- Clarifying roles & expectations
- Delegating effectively
- Setting ambitious goals, tracking progress, and measuring outcomes
- Supporting strong execution and internal communication
- Hiring, onboarding, developing, and retaining great people
- Addressing performance problems
- Identifying the right tools and resources for staying organized
- Establishing and modeling practical self-care routines and habits
Participants who complete all in-person and out-of-class assignments and activities will receive a Certificate of Achievement.
- Pre-work (distributed one week in advance of the in-person workshop)
- Two-day in-person workshop (October 5 & 6, 2019 in San Mateo, CA)
- Three live/recorded virtual group coaching sessions in October/November, including real world experiential and reflection activities and assignments designed to refine and enhance your management skills
$1199 per person ($1099 Early Bird Discount—ends on 9/21/2019); price includes:
- All pre-/post-work, all assessments, two-day in-person workshop, and three follow-up virtual group coaching sessions
- Coffee, tea, water, and light snacks (morning/afternoon)
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This program will be most relevant to:
- New and aspiring people managers
- Seasoned leaders who want to refine/hone their management competency and/or effectively mentor others to be more effective people managers
WHAT OUR PROGRAM PARTICIPANTS SAY
This course…was, in a word, exceptional. Danielle Harlan is a gifted teacher because she is grounded in the academic research and writing in the field, has relevant real-life experience and also a decidedly non-academic approach, which blends the personal and the professional.
Danielle was phenomenal—she had a wealth of knowledge on the subject…and she structured the class so that there was a good mix of large group discussion, pair and small group interaction, and individual reflection. The material was engaging, and I took away key insights that I will be able to apply both personally and professionally.
Danielle was a terrific and dynamic instructor. She knows the subject very well and the interactive exercises and discussion facilitated our learning.
Excellent use of theory combined with hands-on activities that reinforced what we [were learning]. Warm, engaging personality with the use of self-deprecating humor that drew out attendees. Already using the techniques learned!
WHAT MAKES OUR PROGRAMS UNIQUE
Each of our programs is:
- Evidence based and designed to produce measurable results
- Designed by experienced program facilitators who are well-versed in adult learning theory and transformational leadership development strategies
- Facilitated by real-world experts with actual leadership and management experience
Danielle Harlan, Ph.D., is the Founder and CEO of the Center for Advancing Leadership and Human Potential. She is an author, speaker, coach, and consultant empowering others to achieve personal, organizational, and social transformation through outstanding leadership. Her book, The New Alpha: Join the Rising Movement of Influencers and Changemakers Who Are Redefining Leadership, offers a new paradigm for how modern leaders are redefining success, rewriting the rules, and revolutionizing leadership for today's world. Danielle's approach scraps the traditional thinking about leadership and encourages leaders to make an impact—in work, life, and the world at large—and provides the strategies and tools to take action.
As a speaker, Danielle delivers compelling, energetic, and customized presentations. She has been the featured speaker for conferences, corporations, foundations, and groups seeking to ignite and empower successful, fulfilling, and impactful leadership. Named one of Silicon Valley's "40 Under 40," Danielle has also been a speaker for TEDx and worked as an instructor at the Stanford Graduate School of Business and U.C. Berkeley Extension's Corporate and Professional Development Program. In addition, she has been featured in leading publications such as Fast Company, Forbes, Enterpreneur, Inc, and Women's Health.
Danielle earned her doctorate in political science and M.A. in education from Stanford University. Prior to launching the Center for Advancing Leadership and Human Potential, she was the Chief of Operations for the Carnegie Foundation, where she worked to harness the power of networks and quality improvement strategies in order to solve important educational problems. She is a member of the International Leadership Association and the Association for Practical and Professional Ethics.